Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Manners Game

I wish I could say I came up with this idea myself...but unfortunately I didn't.  While spending yet another evening on Pinterest I came across a link to something called, "The Manners Game".  If you'd like to see the original post by 'True Aim Education and Parenting' click here.




Since my school year had such a rocky start, I feel like I never had the chance to really develop the relationships and classroom order that I usually have instilled by this point in the school year.  It is the end of November and my kids are still blurting out, tugging on my shirt (yes...in 5th grade!), not paying attention, and overall displaying poor classroom manners.

The article inspired me, so here is what we did:

To begin with, we developed a class set of rules that have to do with manners.  Topping the list were things like not interrupting, looking at whomever is speaking, following directions, addressing one another by name, keeping distracting things out of your hands, raising your hand, and saying, "May I?" instead of "Can I?"   In simpler words, the basic manners that you would see in a classroom.  When the list of rules was developed, I handed each student two popsicle sticks and then proceeded to explain the game.

1.  For a thirty minute period, all manners listed on the board must be followed.

2.  If a student (or the teacher) catches another student (or the teacher) breaking the rules, they are allowed to take one of their popsicle sticks ONLY if they inform them of the rule break POLITELY! This was key.  If I was in the middle of instructing and a rule was broken, the student who caught it must raise their hand and state, "Excuse me for interrupting, but ( name of student), I noticed that you were displaying poor manners when you ________________".  Only then are they allowed to take the rule breaking student's stick.  I wanted them to address one another instead of me.

3.  At the end of the thirty minute period, all students with at least two popsicle sticks in their possession were awarded $50.00 in bonus money.  It could be any small prize or motivator, but we institute a classroom economy and so that is what I used.

Simple, right?  YES! We were able to complete much more than usual in a thirty minute period, and the kids absolutely loved it. I hate to admit that even I lost a popsicle stick once or twice. The kids begged to play again and I even overheard a conversation during recess they referred to as, "4-Square Manners".  

While this is an idea you could definitely use in the classroom, the author of this original post made up the game for her own family.  Maybe you even want to try it during Thanksgiving tomorrow if you have your own little 'turkeys' that don't always want to behave at family gatherings :)  

We wish you all a wonderful, delicious Thanksgiving and a safe Black Friday!

Love, 
Katelyn, Abby, & Liesel

No comments:

Post a Comment