Friday, January 10, 2014

New Years - Getting Organized!

In 2014 I want to be more organized. Working a full time job, being a new mom with a husband that is currently traveling about a week each month, it is a necessary resolution. There simply is not enough hours in a day to get it all done - holler if you feel me!

At school, my ultimate goal is to clean up at the end of the day. It is so very easy to meander back to the classroom, sit down, and invite a colleague to chat.  I'm sure you've all seen this - it rings a little too true for me!


Let's get real- I'm not saying that sitting and conversing with my beloved colleagues is not an important part of the day, because I do love them. Mostly though, I want to get home and snuggle my baby boy and try to make something for dinner that doesn't come from Trader Joes' freezer section! I'm thinking: talk with coworkers WHILE cleaning. That seems reasonable.

Other organizational goals for school in 2014:
  • Reorganize my book library. I might take some home and rotate a smaller selection throughout the year. It seems that students aren't accessing the entire class library as it should be and too many books are feeling left out.
  • Give students *slighty* more time to clean up. I have been praised multiple times for the "pace" I set in the classroom. Students wrap up an activity, know what we're moving on to, and get after it. I do not like to waste time or give students time to think about getting off task. It's one of the best classroom management techniques out there- keep 'em busy! However, this tends to lead to some sloppy clean ups.
  • To fix this problem - I will put on a song they can jam to (around 3 minutes) and by the time the song is over they must be done cleaning. They must clean the entire song, but no longer. We'll see how this goes. I.MUST.REMIND.THEM.IT.IS.NOT.A.DANCE.PARTY!

What are your 2014 organizational resolutions?

Though this took place last week, here is a link to where other teachers have shared their New Years Resolutions for Organization.  There are some great ideas on there - check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment